Home » Sports » The Evolution of Wimbledon Trophy

The Evolution of Wimbledon Trophy

The Evolution of Wimbledon Trophy

The Evolution of Wimbledon Trophy

Tennis first originated in 12th century France, where the called it Jeu de Paume meaning Game of Palms. Rackets came to use in the 16th century, and the game began to be called Tennis. It was prevalent in England and France. King Henry VIII of England lovee the game. Today Tennis is played in four different types of courts Clay Court, Hard Court, Carpet Court and Grass Court. Wimbledon, the cape of Lawn Tennis in the world, is played every year in all four formats men’s singles, women’s singles, men’s doubles, women’s doubles and mixed doubles in London, England.

The Trophy

The All England Club first presented this historic trophy in 1887. It is made of silver-gilt and is 18 inches high and has a diameter of 7.5 inches. It has an inscription which reads “All England Lawn Tennis Club Single Handed Championship of the World”. The names of the Champions are engraved on the trophy. The trophy is not a property of the winner. Instead, a replica of 3/4th the size of the original cup is given to the winner. The model has names of all past winners engraved on it. The All England Club had to buy the new trophy for 100 guineas and didn’t want to give away the award as they did with The Field Cup and The Challenge Cup who preceded this trophy. William Renshaw was the first recipient of the trophy who had also won the field cup and the challenge cup, hence earning the title three times in a row.

The Engraver

Roman Zoltowski is the official engraver of the trophy. He drives from Poland every year to engrave the names of the winners since 1979. It takes him about 18 minutes to carve one cup. Pete Sampras is the player with the most number of trophies 7. Living legend Roger Federer, with six prizes, is just one trophy behind. In the last 11 years, only four players have claimed this trophy – Roger Federer, Andy Murray, Rafael Nadal and Novak Djokovic.

Venus Rosewater Dish

This trophy is awarded to Women’s singles champion at Wimbledon. The Rosewater dish was used as a ceremonial basin used to collect water falling from the sewers after eating. Sterling Silver Salvers were custom made by Elkington & Co. of Birmingham and is part of the prize. By tradition, the trophy is awarded to the winner by the Duke from Kent. The cup remains the property of the AEC or All England Club. Between 1949 and 2006, winners merely received a miniature copy of the original, which is 18 ¾ inch in diameter, measuring 8 inches in diameter. From 2007, they started awarding a 3/4th size replica of original measuring 14 inches in diameter. The first receiver of the prize was Blanche Bingley in the year 1886. The other winners of the trophy between 1884 and 1957 have their names inscribed on the inner side of the Venus Rosewater Dish, while the winners from 1958 to present day are on the outside.